Tuesday, September 16, 1:53 a.m.
La Paz. – On Monday, survivors of the “Porvenir Massacre” or the “Cobija Massacre” denounced the killing of a number of children last Thursday in the town of El Porvenir, when assassins shot peasants who were heading toward the area.
In statements to the Erbol Network, the leader of the Pando Peasant Federation, Cristian Domínguez, denounced the fact that vehicles belonging to the Prefecture had been given the work of collecting the lifeless bodies of the peasants in order to inter them in a mass grave.
“The comrades told us that they had seen dump trucks that had collected corpses, where they were stripped and had gone to throw them into a mass grave,” said Domínguez.
Tearfully, the leader questioned the departmental autonomy that the Pando Prefecture is trying to implement. “This is autonomy, killing children,” said Domínguez. Claudia Alpire, a peasant from the town of Filadelfia denounced the fact that a number of children had been riddled with machine-gun fire, while they begged their mothers for their lives.
“Those children cried, with machine-guns […], they asked that these children not be killed,” said Alpire.
For its part, the Pando Peasants Federation asked the government for logistical support once the investigation into the “Cobija Massacre” has ended. According to data from the peasant organization, there are 9 dead, 24 wounded, and 39 hostages. The number of missing totals 106, but they warned that the number could increase in the hours to come.
Machetera is a member of Tlaxcala, the network of translators for linguistic diversity. This translation may be reprinted as long as the content remains unaltered, and the source, author, and translator are cited.