Photo: El Deber, Bolivia (Some of the dead from Thursday’s massacre)
Luigino Bracci – ABI, Erbol
Sunday, September 14, 2008, 1:30 p.m.
Cobija (ABI). – A humanitarian commission, headed by the Presidential Minister Juan Ramón Quintana and Health Minister, Ramiro Tapia, arrived at 5 p.m. this Sunday in Porvenir, Filadelfia, Puerto Rico and other conflict areas to undertake a search for missing people and attend to the wounded, victims of a massacre executed by hired assassins sponsored by Pando’s prefecture.
The commission, previously in Cobija, inspected the health centers, above all, Hospital Roberto Galindo, to evaluate the wounded. After visiting the wounded and receiving a clinical report from the directors of these centers, the Health Minister, Ramiro Tapia, assured that all those who were part of the massacre at Porvenir are receiving medical attention.
To evacuate dead and wounded, three ambulances are making the rounds of Porvenir, Filadelfia, Puerto Rico and other communities. The situations of the people or bodies recovered from all these areas will be analyzed in order to bring them to La Paz or to Cobija.
“The President has asked us to assist with the humanitarian support for people who are missing, wounded and have not had the necessary support,” said Minister Tapia. The governmental humanitarian aid commission arrived this Saturday at 2:00 a.m. at the “Aníbal Arab” airport in Cobija, headed by the Presidential and Health ministers in order to begin the work of helping and searching for missing peasants.
The Peasant Workers’ Federation of Pando reported that there are 25 dead and 25 wounded as well as 106 people missing after last Thursday’s brutal massacre in the town of El Porvenir.
The leader Luis Adolfo Mayar, in statements to the Erbol Network, reported that nine dead had been identified, while 16 were still not claimed by their families. According to the government, the number of dead is at 30, since in recent hours additional bodies of peasants were found in the bushes and rivers of the area where the slaughter took place.
In all, the wounded presently total 25, but it is possible that in the next few hours the number could increase, since many people fearful of being victimized, can be found hiding in the houses of family or friends, said the leader.
Mayar said that 106 people are missing, a number that continues to increase as time goes by and reports continue to come in to the peasant communities about people who still have not returned to their homes.
Machetera is a member of Tlaxcala, the network of translators for linguistic diversity. This translation may be reprinted as long as the content remains unaltered, and the source, author, and translator are cited.